Understanding Uplift Fees
Uplift fees, sometimes referred to as “success fees”, are a common feature of many legal cases. The fee is an additional cost that is charged if a successful outcome is achieved in a legal case that is offered on a “no win no fee” basis.
Uplift fees are beneficial for those who may not be able to pay the full costs of legal action in advance, as their lawyer may only charge the fee if the case is successful.
Advantages of Uplift Fees
Uplift fees provide an injured worker with a number of advantages, including:
- Financial security – Uplift fees provide an important financial safety net for those who may not be able to pay the full costs of legal action in advance.
- Incentive for the lawyer – The fee structure may also be beneficial for the lawyer, as it provides an incentive for them to work diligently on the case and ensure that a successful outcome is achieved.
Considerations When Agreeing to an Uplift Fee
It is important to consider the following points when entering into an uplift fee agreement:
- Reasonableness of the fee – Ensure that the fee is reasonable and that the lawyer has the experience and expertise to handle the case.
- Contractual details – Ensure that the fee structure is clearly outlined in the contract and that any changes to the agreement are agreed to in writing.
- Unsuccessful outcome – Note that, if the case is unsuccessful, the lawyer will not receive an uplift fee.
In conclusion, an uplift fee can provide an invaluable financial safety net for injured workers considering making a common law claim for compensation. As such, it is important to understand the terms of any uplift fee agreement before entering into a case.
As the famous American author, Eleanor Roosevelt, once said:
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
With this in mind, it is important to ensure that injured workers understand that uplift fees are an integral part of them receiving maximum compensation which will enable them to continue to fulfill their lifelong dreams.